THE SIKH TIMES
Noteworthy News and Analysis from Around the World
In-Depth Coverage of Issues Concerning the Global Sikh Community Including Self-Determination, Democracy, Human Rights, Civil Liberties, Antiracism, Religion, and South Asian Geopolitics
Home | News Analysis Archive | Biographies | Book Reviews | Events | Photos | Links | About Us | Contact Us
Yogi Bhajan's Teachings
By AMAR PRAKASH SINGH
Amar Prakash Singh was a follower of Yogi Bhajan for about fifteen years (from about 1975 to 1989). He left Yogi Bhajan when he realized that Yogi Bhajan was "distorting" Sikhism. He can be reached via his Web site (http://www.prismnet.com/~khalsa/index.html) or via email at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. (Courtesy: learning-zone at Yahoo! Groups).
The Sikh Times, Apr. 3, 2005
Photo: Amar Prakash Singh
1. Yogi Bhajan taught that you had to make a connection with a living spiritual teacher.
2. Yogi Bhajan taught that you should meditate on his photograph.
3. Yogi Bhajan taught that the reason that Sikhs wear turbans is to adjust the plates in your skull and thus regulate your electro-magnetic energy.
4. Yogi Bhajan taught that the reason that Sikhs wear kachaa [breeches] is that the pressure of the kachaa on your thighs stimulates your liver.
5. Yogi Bhajan taught that you should have a photo of the golden idol of Sri Chand, that is outside the gurdwara in Espanola, in your home.
6. Yogi Bhajan taught that chanting certain shabads [verses] bring certain results: A) mayraa man lochai gur darshan taaee (My mind longs for the Guru; Guru Granth, p. 96): This brings prosperity, multiplied a thousand-fold squared. B) The twenty-ninth pauree [verse] of Japji: This protects you from your enemies by simply vaporizing those who wish you harm. C) The twenty-second pauree of Japji: This brings you victory in legal battles. D) The thirteenth pauree of Japji: This gives you the occult knowledge of infinity. E) The twenty-fifth pauree of Japji: All your needs are pre-fulfilled. Prosperity, virtue, estate, and wealth are yours without asking.
7. Yogi Bhajan taught that Gurmukhi is a magical, mystical language in that by chanting, reciting, or singing, your tongue is pressing on certain pressure points in your upper palate and thus certain glands in your brain are stimulated to secrete hormones, resulting in a kundalini high.
8. Yogi Bhajan taught that Anand Sahib was the ultimate kundalini experience because for each five paurees your kundalini would pass through a corresponding chakra. Forty paurees divided by five equals the eight chakras. This also holds true for Japji.
9. Yogi Bhajan taught that abortion was all right if it was done before the 120th day, when the soul entered the womb.
10. Yogi Bhajan taught that you could be liberated in forty days if you practiced kundalini yoga.
11. Yogi Bhajan taught that he would take on all the karma of his students and that the reason that he was so sick was that his students had a lot of bad karma.
12. Yogi Bhajan taught he should name everyone, not by consulting the Guru, but by using astrology and numerology.
13. Yogi Bhajan taught that he could read auras and even read your destiny.
14. Yogi Bhajan taught that when he died only his physical body would be gone. His soul would then reside in his subtle body which would hover over his students, while he still taught and led tantric. To his students he would not be dead but immortal.